Volunteer role: Special Needs Education Specialist
|Type of role:||Teaching and education|
|Application Closing Date:||31 Dec 2017|
VSO is the world's leading independent international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty in developing countries. Our high-impact approach brings people together to share skills, build capabilities, promote international understanding and action to change lives and make the world a fairer place.
Supporting local disability organisations, the special needs education specialist will coach and train staff in appropriate and effective care and education of children with special needs, including learner-centred methods, needs assessment and learner-aid development. You'll model best practice in group and 1:1 learner environments. Plus provide coaching to the Project Coordinator in project management and monitoring & evaluation. The overall purpose of this role is to have children with disabilities properly accessed and so as to get them to receive the right interventions and attention leading to improved services and realization of their basic human rights.
Skills, qualifications and experience
• A relevant first degree with experience in identifying/assessing children with disabilities (hearing, sight, behaviour, dyslexia, communication, general learning, mobility, etc)
• Extensive professional experience working with children with special needs and their families and carers
• Able to design and deliver tailored programme of training, coaching and support based on assessment of skills gaps and training needs
• Experience in monitoring and evaluation of services with a particular focus on the impact services are having on children
• Able to design and maintain M&E processes and produce reports
• Self-motivated and well-organised
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills, with the confidence to create positive relationships in diverse working environments
• Ability to explain complex issues clearly both verbally and in writing
• Fluent English-speaker
• At least 2-4 years’ experience conducting screening for disabilities - Experience coaching and training others in screening of disabilities
• Report writing skills
• Proven experience establishing and maintaining relationships with individuals and organisations at all levels
• Experience working and leading teams
Please note that this is a generic advert. You can complete a general application form now so we have your details. As soon as a job becomes available, we'll contact you directly.
Please note that this is a generic advert. Please apply and when a specific position arises that matches your skills and availability, we'll contact you directly.
If you’re interested in applying for this role, please download the job description for more information.
To submit your application, click on ‘Make an application’ and complete all relevant fields on the online application form.Make an application