Volunteer role: Social Inclusion and Gender Advisors (Health, Education and Livelihoods)
|Type of role:||Business, management and IT|
|Interview date:||To be Confirmed|
|Start date:||This role is an urgent fill|
VSO is the world’s leading independent international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty in developing countries. Our high-impact approach brings people together to share skills, build capabilities, promote international understanding and action to change lives and make the world a fairer place.
The purpose of this role is to provide support to programme managers in participatory approaches and transformational programme design, and methodological support in social exclusion/Inclusion and gender analysis. Specifically the role will
- accompany programme managers as they research and design programmes, providing on the job advice and support as they carry out social exclusion and gender analysis of the context they are proposing to programme in so that they, their partners and proposed primary actors are fully aware of the social, economic and environmental factors at play in the context in which they are proposing to intervene.
- Support programme managers and their teams to enable VSO stakeholders to reflect on systems of social exclusion and gender inequality in their context and how that relates to poverty and marginalisation (mapping the system of social exclusion)
- Support programme managers and their teams to enable VSO stakeholders to assess where they believe the most effective interventions can be made, testing their assumptions against evidence and making informed decisions about the methods/approach to integrating social inclusion and gender into programmes and projects
- Provide guidance on maintaining a poverty and social exclusion focus in programming.
- Work in collaboration with monitoring and evaluation staff and volunteers to ensure that there is evidence to support the programming approach and that the people we are working with and for agree with the analysis and indicators that will be used to assess progress
Skills, qualifications and experience
An understanding of social exclusion/inclusion and gender analysis and other participatory methodologies and a commitment to people led development.
This role will support our programs in Education, Health and Livelihoods and thus experience in those sectors is essential.
Experience in participatory research, appraisals and assessment
Skills in social exclusion and gender analysis, and in one or more of the following:
• Qualitative research
• Power analysis
• Systems approaches
• Theories of change
• Transformational processes
You will be a graduate or activist in poverty, gender or exclusion issues with an understanding of how change happens.
You will be passionate about participation and social inclusion.
• Experience of working in international development contexts.
Experience of working in education, health, governance or livelihoods sectors or programmes.
• Understanding of key considerations in working cross-culturally.
You will have specialized in social inclusion and/or gender and participatory development.
Possible locations to be confirmed.
If you’re interested in applying for this role, please download the job description for more information.
To submit your application, click on ‘Make an application’ and complete all relevant fields on the online application form.Make an application