Volunteer role: Language Specialist
|Type of role:||Business, management and IT|
|Application Closing Date:||31 Dec 2017|
|Start date:||December 2017/January 2018|
VSO is the world's leading development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty. We are unique in the way we bring people together to share their skills and experience, generate insights and ideas and, most of all, take action against poverty and exclusion. It's a highly effective approach that works, and today is helping millions of people in some of the world's poorest communities lift themselves out of poverty.
The Mother Tongue Education Specialist will work to support the Language Commission of Nepal which is a newly established Constitutional body mandated to determine the criteria to get recognition for ‘official language(s)’, mother tongue based medium of instruction in education and protect, promote and develop languages of Nepal. S/He will work together with Language Commission point of contact in coordinating among Language Commission staff members, and relevant stakeholders including Nepal Academy and Universities to recommend on a course of action to develop the modality of Mother Tongue Based instruction in the schools of Nepal. S/He identifies areas for capacity development among staff members of Language Commission and works with them closely to enhance their leadership capacities. The MTE Specialist contributes in the development of Language Commission in its effort to digitalize and archive the various languages of Nepal through effective use of ICT in its day to day business. The purpose of this job is also to conduct a case study research that informs the MTB instruction directions for the federal Nepal.
Skills, qualifications and experience
• University degree in Education with focus to MTB, at least 5 years’ experience working with multi-level stakeholders particularly in government
• Knowledge of various languages & dialects in Nepal
• Use of technology in language issue including digitalization, transcribing and archiving
• Strong background coordinating with government agencies, development partners and civil society organizations
• Experience in conducting MTB Research
• Strong background in building capacity of staff particularly in government
• Background in programme and policy implementation and monitoring
• Strong background in writing policy briefs and reports
• Knowledge and understanding of international inclusive education practice with emphasis to instructions in Mother Tongue
• Experience of practical and creative solutions to deliver results in organizations with minimal resources
• Understanding of language dynamics
• Knowledge in language engineering
• Knowledge and understanding on Education in Federalism
• Knowledge and understanding of international, language, gender and inclusive education practice
Allowance and accommodation
All volunteers have an allowance paid in local currency. The allowance meets reasonable living expenses in country, but will not be enough to send money home.
VSO works with some of the poorest communities in the world which means accommodation varies and will be basic.
If you’re interested in applying for this role, please download the job description for more information.
To submit your application, click on ‘Make an application’ and complete all relevant fields on the online application form.Make an application
Volunteer jobs in business, management and IT
Business and management professionals needed to support the development of sustainable businesses and livelihoods.