Volunteer role: Inclusive Education Specialist – Gender &/or Disability Focus
|Type of role:||Teaching and education|
|Application Closing Date:||31 Jul 2018|
|Start date:||January/April 2018|
VSO is the world's leading development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty. We are unique in the way we bring people together to share their skills and experience, generate insights and ideas and, most of all, take action against poverty and exclusion. It's a highly effective approach that works, and today is helping millions of people in some of the world's poorest communities lift themselves out of poverty.
The communities we work in need people like you - experienced professionals with the ideas, energy and courage to make a difference.
Thousands of children are unfairly discriminated against in the classroom, prevented from accessing a proper education. These children deserve the same opportunities as any other child, and that’s where you come in.
In this role, your goal will be to create an environment where all children, and girls in particular, feel included and are able to receive a quality education. You’ll also be looking to improve attendance and reduce school dropout rates.
You’ll be working in a team, supporting target partners to introduce inclusive education practices. You’ll be working across many age groups, promoting inclusive principles at pre-primary, primary and secondary level. You’ll also be monitoring the progress of the changes you’ve implemented by writing up regular reports.
Ultimately, you will be helping to make essential changes, facilitating access to quality education for all children of the target district, irrespective of their gender, ethnicity, social background, language and physical disability.
Skills, qualifications and experience
• Minimum of BA degree; MA degree in inclusive education and related areas preferred
• Minimum of 5 years of experience in in-service and/or pre-service teacher training at pre-primary and primary education level
• Experience of training teachers at pre-primary and primary level and/or secondary level
• Proven knowledge and skills in active learning, child-centred and inclusive methodologies and special needs education
• Proven experience and knowledge of developing, implementing and coordinating inclusive education projects/programmes
• Experience in developing inclusive education or special needs education training materials and delivering training
• Practical knowledge of peer-to-peer support
• Ability to monitor and evaluate project results and write up quarterly and annual reports
• Good interpersonal skills combined with a flexible and adaptable attitude
• Communication and networking skills with a good command of both spoken and written English
• Computer literate and have basic skills for managing information systems, such as creating spreadsheets and word documents.
Apply now for the role of Inclusive Education Specialist. Please note this is a generic advert, so we will be in touch when a suitable position comes up.
Please note that this is a generic advert. Please apply and when a specific position arises that matches your skills and availability, we'll contact you directly.
If you’re interested in applying for this role, please download the job description for more information.
To submit your application, click on ‘Make an application’ and complete all relevant fields on the online application form.Make an application