Volunteer role: ICS Youth Volunteer
|Application Closing Date:||19 Jan 2019|
VSO is the world's leading development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty. We are unique in the way we bring people together to share their skills and experience, generate insights and ideas and, most of all, take action against poverty and exclusion. It's a highly effective approach that works, and today is helping millions of people in some of the world's poorest communities lift themselves out of poverty.
The objectives of being a volunteer with VSO/ICS are:
• To actively contribute to the delivery of a VSO ICS project
• To build on your own personal and professional development
Core Responsibilities Include:
• Planning and design of community events and sessions
• Facilitate sessions in the community/ volunteer placements
• Develop and maintain relationships with stakeholders
Responsibilities within the team
• Research, plan and facilitate sessions in the volunteer team
• Document placement activities using provided tools
• Actively participate in all ICS activities ie team meetings, supervisions sessions, team socials etc
• Promote cross-cultural learning, living and working amongst your team members and the community
Skills, qualifications and experience
• A passion for the role of young people in international development;
. Must be between 18 and 25 years old
• A belief in the values of VSO;
• A full commitment to the three stages of ICS (pre placement, on placement, post placement)
• Self-motivated with the ability to work flexibly and on own initiative;
• Sensitive to the needs of others and committed to learning from an ICS placement
. Able to live away from home for the entire placement period
As a VSO volunteer, you will be sharing your skills with local communities on a full time basis. VSO will cover your travel, medical costs, along with a local living allowance which will be paid in local currency. This allowance meets reasonable living expenses in country, but will not be enough to send money home.
During your volunteer Placement, you will live in a host home within your placement location, VSO works with some of the poorest communities in the world which means accommodation varies and will be basic.
Some background about VSO
Much has changed since VSO started 60 years ago. We’ve gone from being a UK charity to a truly global development organisation. In 2016/2017 alone, we worked with over 7,000 volunteers from all over the world and from all backgrounds to deliver services that had an impact on the lives of almost 2.6 million people in the 24 countries where we work. Our programmes focus on the areas of health, education and livelihoods, with an increasing emphasis on resilience building, social accountability, gender and social inclusion. We believe progress is only possible when we work together and that strong partnerships are crucial to delivering positive change. That’s why we work with over 500 partner organisations, from local and national governments, to businesses, NGOs, funders, charities and community groups. Currently, over 30% of our people are recruited from within the country in which they work, and we continue to grow the share of community and national volunteers involved in our programmes. We also send increasing numbers of volunteers from one developing country to another. However, our vision has remained the same; to build a world without poverty.
If you’re interested in applying for this role, please download the job description for more information.
To submit your application, click on ‘Make an application’ and complete all relevant fields on the online application form.Make an application