Volunteer role: Business Development Adviser
|Type of role:||Business, management and IT|
|Application Closing Date:||30 Sep 2017|
VSO is the world's leading development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty. We are unique in the way we bring people together to share their skills and experience, generate insights and ideas and, most of all, take action against poverty and exclusion. It's a highly effective approach that works, and today is helping millions of people in some of the world's poorest communities lift themselves out of poverty.
New placement Improving Market Access for the Poor project aims to increase capacity of producer organisations to intervene in value chains competitively. One way of doing this is by assisting producer organisations to develop social enterprises to support their members to participate in the value chains efficiently why the enterprises remain self- sustaining. The advisor will work with the partner organisations to set up the systems for developing, implementing and managing finance and business systems for the social enterprises. Simultaneously the advisor has to transfer capacity to the partners and self-management for cooperatives and/cooperative organisations.
Skills, qualifications and experience
- Primary skill ( basic skill that you require)
• At least 5 years’ experience with knowledge of setting up business and business financial systems
• Bachelor's degree in Finance/Accounting or Information Systems is required
• Insightful on setting up revolving funds including credit and client portfolio management
• Building organizational capacity on setting up Financial Systems to provide project management, business analysis, and testing services in support of small organisations
• Understanding of business problems and opportunities in the context of the requirements and recommends solutions that enable the business.
• Ability to navigate across functional, relational and technical boundaries to facilitate relationships and translate business needs into finance and technology solutions.
• Supporting the planning processes by being the go-to person for users, fixing issues as they arise and remedial solutions are implemented.
• Either an Accounting/Finance professional with a strong systems/data background or who has moved towards systems.
• Must display initiative and possess “self-starter” qualities necessary for success in a fluid and dynamic work environment.
• Experience with database and Server Reporting Services (SSRS) is preferred.
• Strong research and analysis skills; Ability to adapt quickly and learn new tasks independently; Ability to assimilate detailed information into the bigger picture; Excellent organization skills; Ability to manage competing priorities; Ability to generate creative ideas to improve performance.
• Work experience within a rural development setting is preferred.
• Training, supervisory skills are desirable
• Both office and field experience desirable, in the following areas:
• Developing internal controls, policies and procedures for international operations.
• Ability to understand the issues faced by projects responsible for managing revolving funds in risky member based organisations such as cooperatives.
• Management/ Accounting/ social enterprise management experience in a local office setting a plus.
Allowance and accommodation
All volunteers have an allowance paid in local currency. The allowance meets reasonable living expenses in country, but will not be enough to send money home.
VSO works with some of the poorest communities in the world which means accommodation varies and will be basic.
If you’re interested in applying for this role, please download the job description for more information.
To submit your application, click on ‘Make an application’ and complete all relevant fields on the online application form.Make an application
Volunteer jobs in business, management and IT
Business and management professionals needed to support the development of sustainable businesses and livelihoods.