How to organise a street collection
Street collections are a great way to raise money, but do require some forward planning. You will need to obtain permission from the council or shop owner first.
It might seem daunting, but wear a big smile, be positive and you will be surprised at how generous people can be and how much you enjoy it!
Sally Beckenham, VSO fundraising
- You will need to get permission from the licensing department of your local council – search their website for help
- If your permission is granted, request this in writing and carry it with you on the day in case you are asked to provide some proof
- If you have been given a collection badge make sure that this is visible
- Wear your VSO T-shirt and contact us for a VSO collection tin or bucket
Setting a time and place for the collection
- Choose a suitable location that will be busy with a high level of people passing by on the date and time that you are planning to collect in order to reach as many people as possible.
- Your safety is very important to us - never collect money on your own. Work with a partner or team.
- Think about where to stand – it is better for street collectors to stand at some distance from each other, but not too far away so that you can’t see each other.
- Be prepared with information and facts about VSO and what we do – people who stop to talk to you will want to find out more about where their money goes and why they should donate to VSO.
Paying in funds raised
- Don't forget to pay in any raised funds to us as quickly as possible and to find out how, please visit our how to pay in your funds page.
- Please note that for street collections, you cannot claim Gift Aid on the money raised.
How to organise a fundraising event
Hosting an event can bring in a lot of funds and could be all you need to reach your fundraising target
Need some help? Get in touch!
Telephone: +44 (0)20 8780 7500