The Philippines is an archipelago made up of more than 7,000 islands, composed of three main island groups: Luzon, Visaya and Mindanao. Located in the western Pacific Ocean, it has an area of 300,000 square kilometers, and is one of the world’s great reservoirs of biodiversity with hundreds of native species.
The Philippines is one of the fastest growing economies in Asia, but poverty and inequality continues to be a considerable challenge. It’s also incredibly diverse, with 19 recognised languages spoken across the Philippines.
VSO has had an active presence in the Philippines since the 1960s, and to this day continues to work with government agencies and non-government organisations, taking on important development projects.
VSO Philippines has two offices:
- Manila office. This houses the team responsible for the recruitment of volunteers from Asia-Pacific
- Davao Office. This office is responsible for the delivery of key programmes: on resilience for peace and social cohesion and disaster risk reduction.
The VSO Philippines country team developed this programme in response to the dual problems of poverty and conflict in Mindanao. To tackle the issue, VSO is implementing a programme of activities focusing on building the capacity and resilience of local non-governmental organisations and communities, and achieving enhanced peace and social cohesion for citizens.
The VSO Phillipines team is working with people from a local level all the way up to a national level, working in a transparent and accountable way. The team believes this is the best approach for addressing the social and economic issues faced by the Mindanao community.
The programme will focus on:
- The promotion of a culture of peace through peace education and inter-cultural dialogue focused on non-violent resolution of disputes and conflicts
- Support for the provision of basic services to address poverty as a driver of conflict
- The integration of gender and socially-inclusive policies and practices within community decision-making processes
- The improved access and control of primary actors over community resources.
DISASTER RISK REDUCTION PROGRAMME (DRR)
VSO Philippines is working to develop a disaster risk reduction programme that gives communities greater capacity to cope with environmental hazards and natural disasters. The specific focus of this programme is currently in development.
- Maloy Tiongson, People Resourcing Manager for Asia Pacific
- Catherin Cu, People Resourcing Advisor, Candidate management
- Celina Fong, People Resourcing Advisor, Recruitment & Selection, and Resettlement
- Michael Villena, People Resourcing Advisor, Induction and Onboarding
- Ching Abril, People Resourcing Finance Officer
Country Programme Office (Davao City)
- Arlene Mahinay, Head of Programmes
- Lyca Sarenas, Project Manager
- John Paul Maguad, Finance and Administrative Coordinator
If you would like to volunteer, and be a part of change, please contact:
Resourcing office (Manila):
Unit 541, Regus Center, 5/F Gateway Tower,
Araneta Center Cubao, Quezon City, Philippines 1109
Phone: +63 2 790 4399
For partnership and country-specific matters, contact:
Country Programme Office (Davao City):
2/F Sazon Bldg, MacArthur Highway, Matina, Davao City, 8000
Phone: c/o Rainmakers Co-working Space: +6382-298-6343; +63 9177754861; +63 9177005922
Interested in volunteering in the Philippines ?
Find out more and see volunteer roles available.