Technical Lead – Agri-based Value Chains
|Type of role:||Agriculture and natural resources|
|Location:||Cox's Bazar, Bangladesh|
|Salary:||Women with required competencies are strongly encouraged to apply. Competitive Salary will be offered for deserving candidate as per policy. VSO promotes equal opportunities and values a diverse workforce.|
|Contract type:||Fixed Term|
|Full Time:||35 hours per week|
|Application Closing Date:||19 Feb 2020|
|Interview date:||To be confirmed.|
|Start date:||01 April 2020|
VSO is the world’s leading international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty. Working in 24 countries around the world, our unique role in international development is to place committed volunteers with carefully selected organisations where their skills can have the greatest impact. Our extraordinary volunteers live and work in some of the world’s poorest communities. Sharing their unique skills and experience to generate new ideas and new ways of doing things, helping the communities they work in lift themselves out of poverty. We’re not about delivering quick fixes, but instead we focus on long-lasting, sustainable change, that will impact generations to come. Join us and help us work towards our vision of a world without poverty.
Coordination of all agri based activities for USAID’s Cox’s Bazar Conflict Prevention and Community Resilience within VSO Bangladesh Secure Livelihoods programme.
• Provide technical leadership in developing, delivering and evaluating agriculture-based value chain interventions in the project
• Coordinate all agri-based activities with special focus on increasing women and youth participation in the governance and leadership in their community towards reducing conflict and ensuring youth-led social cohesion.
• Provide technical support to the implementing team for youth empowerment, social cohesion, and particularly activities in relation to the agriculture-based value chains (AbVC) and business development.
• Effective design, implementation, and refinement of monitoring and evaluation systems and procedures used to track progress and achievements against planned programme outcomes.
• Collaborate with Programme Development and Policy team to ensure AbVC activities are developed and managed in line with the People First Framework.
• Collaborate with the Monitoring, Evaluation and Research team to ensure that the project MEL structures are in line with global frameworks.
• Partnering with and creating awareness and knowledge of volunteerism among different stakeholders including government officials to implement the youth volunteering clauses stated in the National Youth Policy
• Establish and maintain good relationships with existing and potential future implementing partners.
Govt. Relations and Networking:
• Build and maintain relations with key stakeholders at the community, district, and national levels, including government agencies, development partners, I/NGOs, CSOs, and local communities.
• Ensure that the VSO has a voice in different forums,
• Coordinate and attain necessary approvals for the project implementation.
• Volunteer placements are compliant with the VSO system and SOPs and timelines.
• Work with a Recruitment Specialist for timely selection and onboarding of all volunteers.
• Provide on-going project, learning and duty of care support to volunteers throughout their placement that ensure People First Principles.
• Continuously engage with volunteers for the development and delivery of the projects.
• Develop realistic project plans and budgets, ensure alignment of activities in compliance with VSO policy and procedures and grant requirements.
• Effectively manage donor grants allocated to the project in compliance with VSO financial policies, procedures, and guidelines, donors, and government regulations.
• Forecast, manage and monitor the project budgets and expenditure according to plan, funding agreement and VSO.
Knowledge Resource and Reporting:
• Collect and collate evidence of outcomes and impact, and work with primary actors, partners, and volunteers to identify opportunities for continuous reflection and review, and knowledge sharing to analyze and adapt interventions as needed.
• Capture and share all project learnings and evidence with team members, volunteers, programme development and partnership team and wider VSO.
• Produce programmatic and financial reports as per agreed timetables and ensure that all project information is appropriately documented and secured.
• Research and recommend improvements to the project to more efficiently and effectively manage the project.
Fulfill other appropriate level accountabilities as defined by the Programme Manager from time to time.
Skills, qualifications and experience
Skills, knowledge, and experience
Qualification and experiences:
• Bachelor/master’s in Agriculture or Agribusiness with 3-5 years’ experience in the development organization.
• Working experience in empowering women within agricultural value chains will be an advantage.
• Having work experiences in Cox’s Bazar region is highly desirable
• Project management and implementation experiences, including private sector partnerships.
• Excellent team working and relationship building skills; the experience of working collaboratively and of building partnerships in a multi-cultural environment.
• Good level of computer skills (Windows, Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook, and Internet).
• Understanding the role of international development, more specifically volunteering in the Country.
• Strong command in both writing and speaking English.
• Ability to negotiate and maintain relations with consortium partners, government offices, private sector stakeholders, etc.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, able to influence and coach and ability to build partnerships and relationships in a multi-cultural environment.
• Experience of cross-cultural working and an understanding of issues of diversity.
Work Management and Problem Solving:
• Self-organized with the ability to manage time and tight schedules, working effectively under pressure Ability to work on own initiative, with a creative approach to problem-solving. Strong level of attention to detail
• Good financial management skills.
• To adapt to new situations, with a positive attitude to working in an international organization. Able to travel occasionally and spend time away from base and home.
Commitment to VSO’s values
• VSO has zero-tolerance for abuse and exploitation of vulnerable people. We expect all our employees/volunteers to ensure we protect children, young people and vulnerable adults from harm and abide by our safeguarding policy.
*** This position is subject to VSO as a consortium partner secure contract with USAID for this project. Women with required competencies are strongly encouraged to apply. VSO reserves the right to close this job early if we receive a sufficient number of applications.
We also offer a range of benefits, including;
• Competitive Provident Fund.
• Yearly Festival Bonus as per Policy.
• Yearly Holiday Allowance as per Policy.
• Global Medical Insurance Coverage Including Dependants as per Policy.
• Personal Global Accidental Insurance Coverage as per Policy.
• Personal Local Life Insurance Coverage as per Policy.
• Generous annual leave of 37 days (inclusive of public holidays).
• Work in a global organization, with a range of people from different parts of the world.
• Opportunities for flexible working and working from home.
• A friendly and supportive office environment.
• Employee and Volunteer Assistance Programme.
• Opportunities for professional development, including a range of online self-study modules, coaching, and workshops.
You must have the eligibility to live and the right to work in Bangladesh.
The fixed-term contract will be from 01st April 2020 to till 31st December 2022. However, the extension or renewal of this contract will depend on the extension of the project.
VSO has zero-tolerance for abuse and exploitation of vulnerable people. We expect all our employees/volunteers to ensure we protect children, young people and vulnerable adults from harm and abide by our safeguarding policy.
VSO is committed to promote equal opportunities for women, men, people with disabilities, and individuals from a different race, caste, ethnic and religious backgrounds, and diverse candidates are encouraged to apply. Only successful candidates will be contacted. Telephone inquiries or any form of persuasion will lead to disqualification.
If you’re interested in applying for this role, please download the job description for more information.
To submit your application, click on ‘Make an application’ and complete all relevant fields on the online application form.Make an application