Program Officer - Education Programme
|Type of role:||Business, management and IT|
|Location:||Pretoria, South Africa|
|Contract type:||Fixed Term|
|Contract length:||1 year|
|Full Time:||40 hours per week|
|Application Closing Date:||5 Jan 2019|
VSO is the world’s leading independent international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty in developing countries. Our high-impact approach brings people together to share skills, build capabilities, promote international understanding and action to change lives and make the world a fairer place.
• Ensure that the programme is implemented according to the donor agreed annual and quarterly plans
• Manage and update project-specific reports as regularly as required.
• Support the collect and manage monitoring data from the field.
• Maintain regular communications with the lead organization and other implementing partners
Volunteer Management and Support:
• Liaising with recruitment team to ensure that clearance papers are submitted on time to the Government for the issuing of Temporary Employment Permit and relevant visas;
• Ensuring that Host Country Reality Discussion are held at least two weeks before the volunteer arrives
• Ensure that appropriate housing accommodation that meets the minimum standards according to the Accommodation Policy is ready by the time the volunteer arrive
• Ensure that you have organized and come up with an In Country Orientation Schedule for new Volunteers;
• Ensure that airport pick up and accommodation on first arrival are arranged
• Ensure that new volunteers are Supported with settling in such as helping them with shopping for their house hold requirements;
• Ensure that Volunteer Directory is always up to date;
• Ensure that all volunteer queries are logged in the Case Management System and followed up to ensure timely conclusion.
• Ensure regular communications with volunteers
• Support volunteers in the development of their work plans
• Ensure volunteers are supported by the partners in the delivery of their work plans and budgets
• Ensure that volunteer medical issues are handled promptly and maintain high level of confidentiality
• Ensure that Volunteer personal files are up to date.
• Provide support to volunteers as they develop documentation outlining learnings, trends and best practices
• Ensure that End of Service Pack is sent to volunteers at least 3 months before end of Service;
• Ensure that flights and related logistics are done for volunteers travelling on compassionate leave or end of service flights.
• Recruitment & Selection: Support the People and Operations Manager in the administration of the recruitment and selection of Education Project staff and volunteers.
Partnership Development and Management:
• Support the line manager to assess, negotiate, maintain and review relevant partnerships Governance and Compliance: Develop beneficial relationships with government departments and ensure that all labour and immigration requirements are adhered to
Skills, qualifications and experience
• Understanding of USAID rules and regulations
• Knowledge and understanding of multi-sectoral development issues
• Strong background in Education programming required given the information management requirements of the job
• Demonstrated success at networking and partnership development
• Proven ability to develop and motivate others within a team.
• IT literate (Microsoft packages)
• Ability to do simple measurements and analysis of learning outcomes (M&E skills)
• Oral and written fluency in English, with confidence in communicating to a wide range of audiences.
• First degree in Development, Education, Human Resource studies or its equivalent
• Experience working with international Non-Government Organizations and with Government Officials.
• Experience of working with volunteers.
• Clean driving license.
• Project management experience.
• Knowledge and experience of Education programming
Human Resources -
• Knowledge of Country employment and immigration laws.
• Experience of using Human Resources information systems and running a range of reports.
• Understanding and commitment to data protection and equality and diversity issues.
• Experience of working with different cultures and backgrounds.
This role is based in South Africa under the Education project (Northwest Province, District will be confirmed)
If you’re interested in applying for this role, please download the job description for more information.
To submit your application, click on ‘Make an application’ and complete all relevant fields on the online application form.Make an application