Lead Technical Adviser - Rural Livelihoods
|Type of role:||Business, management and IT|
|Full Time:||35 hours per week|
|Application Closing Date:||1 Apr 2019|
|Start date:||As soon as Position is filled|
VSO is the world’s leading international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty. Working in 24 countries around the world, our unique role in international development is to place committed volunteers with carefully selected organisations where their skills can have the greatest impact. Our extraordinary volunteers live and work in some of the world’s poorest communities. Sharing their unique skills and experience to generate new ideas and new ways of doing things, helping the communities they work in lift themselves out of poverty. We’re not about delivering quick fixes, but instead we focus on long-lasting, sustainable change, that will impact generations to come. Join us and help us work towards our vision of a world without poverty.
You will provide technical leadership to a globally dispersed team of staff and volunteers to identify, test, and document new and promising practices across VSO’s Rural Livelihoods programmes, specifically in Nigeria, but also in Cambodia and other countries in Africa and Asia that have Resilient Rural Livelihoods programme activities. The overall aim of the position is to support improvement in the quality and impact of VSO’s Resilient Rural Livelihoods programmes globally to enable VSO to document, replicate and expand effective approaches, with the aim of helping more of the world’s poor and marginalized people to achieve their livelihood aspirations.
Skills, qualifications and experience
You have a
• Master’s in Development studies, Agriculture, or other equivalent qualification.
• Extensive experience and knowledge of Rural livelihoods programming, including vocational and agricultural related skills training; enterprise development; market-led approaches.
• Proven experience of securing external funding and grants, including proposal development. Evidence of understanding the challenges of donor and contract management and the implications for programme management.
• Proven experience in financial management, including building a budget, monitoring and managing expenditure. experience of having compiled financial reports
• Excellent understanding and demonstrated experience of project cycle management, organi-sational assessment, planning and M&E tools and processes.
• Effective oral and written communication skills and experience of compiling donor reports.
• Leadership and people management skills; including handling complex situations to an effective conclusion; experience of developing, coaching and managing high performing teams
• Self-motivated, ability to use own initiative, flexibility
• Strong representation and negotiation skills; ability to negotiate and maintain relations with external stakeholders
• Oral and written fluency in English, with confidence in communicating to a wide range of audiences
• Able to develop multiple ideas to solve an issue or situation and take a swift decision, including in a high risk situation.
• Able to adapt to new and demanding situations, with experience of living and working in developing countries.
• Able to travel and work long hours, including work away from the home base for up to 30% of time, both within the country and occasionally internationally and some weekend and evening work.
Competencies and Behaviour
At VSO we believe progress is only possible by working together. Whether you want to join us as an employee, or as a volunteer working in your own country, overseas or online, our selection process includes an assessment based on these core competencies:
• Ability to be open minded and respectful
• Ability to be resilient and adaptive to new situations
• Ability to facilitate positive change and build sustainable working relationships
• Ability to seek and share knowledge
VSO promotes equal opportunities and values a diverse workforce.
VSO reserves the right to close this job early if we receive a sufficient number of applications.
If you’re interested in applying for this role, please download the job description for more information.
To submit your application, click on ‘Make an application’ and complete all relevant fields on the online application form.Make an application